1.12.10

international postage

Ordering vintage stamps and paper goods online means that sometimes, the thoughtful composition of the delivered envelopes is as wonderful as what's inside.


These postage stamps arrived uncancelled on an envelope sent to me from England, containing a postcard written, addressed, and sent in 1914.  I chose the card on ebay for its photograph of the companion square to the garden square where I once lived in London.

At first, Elizabeth "1st" looked like a mossy green to me.  Turns out she's a sparkly gold.  An ambiguity suitable to the copper patina of the category "verdigris".  I'm letting the color scheme take me where it will.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .